One of the most commonly asked questions by parents is “Is jiu jitsu good for kids?” and the answer is a resounding YES! Besides the incredible physical and mental benefits that training Jiu-jitsu can provide, Kids will also learn essential life skills on the mat while having fun!
Below are 5 of the many benefits that training Jiu-Jitsu will provide your children!
1. Training BJJ helps kids develop strong healthy habits and important life skills!
- Good Habits are extremely beneficial but it can be hard to make them second nature. BJJ teaches children through trial and error they can make small adjustments until they achieve success. One of our mottos at Bayshore BJJ is “Better Every Day.” Its not hyper-focusing on any one aspect of your life, but on steadily improving on all of the things that are important in becoming a happy,successful, well rounded person.
- Jiu-Jitsu also teaches kids to set goals, and imparts the work ethic required to accomplish them. Being promoted in Jiu Jitsu is a big deal, and requires dedication and consistency. When a kid receives a stripe, or moreso, a belt promotion, they know they’ve earned it.
2. BJJ Helps Kids develop social skills and make friends!
- In the world of online video games and social media, it can be hard for kids to make friends and develop in person social skills. Kids in class are paired in groups and train with training partners and need to work together to grow and learn! In addition to this, at Bayshore BJJ, students are encouraged to work their ice breaking and introduction skills. As children progress in their training, they are entrusted with leadership roles, including leading class warmups, and mentoring new students.
3. Jiu-Jitsu shows kids healthy ways to handle bullying
- At Bayshore BJJ, we tell our kids that the safest place to be during a fight is a mile away, but that the second safest place is on our opponent’s back. Jiu-Jitsu as a martial art focuses on taking down and controlling opponents on the ground.By studying jiu jitsu, your child will learn to confidently, and effectively defend themselves without having to hurt the other child with wild punches or kicks.
4. BJJ also teaches kids not to fear failure
- Even as adults, many of us struggle with the fear of failure. JIU JITSU IS NOT EASY. Through training, it becomes second nature to approach failures as motivations, and stepping stones in learning and development.
5. BJJ helps develop confidence
- When kids develop the skills to defend themselves, their confidence goes through the roof! Jiu-jitsu is the most effective form of self-defense because it uses leverage instead of strength and power and allows smaller people to defeat much larger attackers. When a person knows that they will be able to successfully defend themselves if push comes to shove, they tend to be more confident using their words to speak up when they’re being mistreated. In most cases, this confidence is enough to get a bully to back off.
There are so many benefits to training jiu jitsu as a child, but don’t just take our word on it! Call or message us to set up a FREE Trail Class, and see what so many other parents in the Hazlet, Holmdel, Keyport, and Matawan area have already figured outI Bayshore BJJ is a positive, nurturing environment that will help your child to grow in so many important aspects of life.